Holiday Tip: Don’t eat the cookie dough… even if it’s vegan.
Turns out raw eggs aren’t the only cause for concern in raw cookie dough. When the FDA was investigating an E. coli outbreak in 2009, the researchers found that the eggs weren’t bad — the flour was. It was the only raw ingredient in the ready-to-bake cookie dough that had not been pasteurized.
So, as hard as it is, refrain from “sampling” the batter as you’re baking up cookies with your children. I always have this problem, as Pooh would say, “The cookie sheet and I are sharing.” Sigh.
But even more important, make sure your little ones don’t sneak a taste because it’s the young, old and those with serious health issues that are most likely to get the sickest.
There’s always cookie dough ice cream, right? And in this case, it is the healthiest option. Enjoy!